You might think carbon monoxide has nothing to do with dryer vents but you would be incorrect (at least to a point). Some (but not all) dryers emit carbon monoxide while they're running. But no big because it all gets vented out of the home by the dryer vent system, right? Right – unless the dryer vent is stopped up with lint or an animal's nest, etc. and it can't vent properly. Yikes, what then? Well, over time, the gas buildup from a dryer with a clogged vent can reach concentrations high enough to cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are a few things you should know about carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide poisoning.
1. Each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.
2. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include: headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Often described as “flu-like” symptoms.
3. Carbon monoxide bonds to hemoglobin after it enters the body, and instead of carrying oxygen the hemoglobin is then occupied with the carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide poisoning is actually the result of the head and heart not receiving sufficient oxygen… or asphyxiation.
4. Install a battery-operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Replace your detector every five years.
5. Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly! If not, call a qualified technician to come take a look (*clears throat* WE are qualified technicians. Just sayin'. *shameless plug over*).
6. Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home. Bad idea. Bad, bad idea.
Since carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, and colorless, it can sneak up out of nowhere which makes it pretty scary. If you know the facts though – like symptoms of poisoning and how to keep your family safer – you should have no problems with the “silent killer”. Just remember that your dryer can also be a culprit of carbon monoxide and that's just one more reason to make sure your vents are free and clear.
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-610-2779 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Nanuet NY, Goshen NY, Newburg NY, New City NY, Middletown NY, and the surrounding NY Metro areas!