Saving money is always a good thing! One excellent way to save money when it comes to laundry is by making homemade laundry detergent. Plus, homemade detergent is more environmentally friendly as it tends to be made with non-toxic, biodegradable ingredients. And homemade laundry detergent works just as well as store-bought, so you don’t have to worry that your clothes aren’t getting as clean.
If you’re ready to save money, check out these recipes for homemade laundry detergent below!
Bicarbonate of soda
Savon de Marseille soap
Essential oil (optional)
1. Combine 9 oz of the bicarbonate of soda and 9 oz of soda crystals.
2. Grate the soap and add it to the soda crystal/bicarbonate of soda mix.
3. Add 30 drops of your favorite essential oil if you want your detergent to be scented.
4. Mix well and place in a storage jar.
Shaved bar soap such as Ivory
1. Stir 4.5 oz of shaved bar soap, 14 oz of borax, and 14 oz of washing soda together for several minutes. Then enjoy!
2. OR blend in a food processor or blender to create a powder.
Fels-Naptha laundry bar & stain remover
Oxiclean versatile stain remover
Purex Crystals in-wash fragrance booster (optional)
1. Break down three bars of Fels-Naptha into tiny pellets, then blend in a food processor or blender with one scoop of Oxiclean.
2. Mix this with one box of borax, one box of washing soda, two cups of baking soda, two boxes of Oxiclean, one-two bottles of Purex Crystals (optional). This recipe makes A LOT, so it’s recommended you mix in a garbage bag (or cut the recipe to fit your needs).
If you look, you’ll find several recipes for homemade laundry detergent out there, so if you don’t like these you can likely find one that you love. Do something good for yourself and the planet and give homemade laundry detergent a try!
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-610-2779 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Orange County NY, Rockland County NY, Middletown NY, Tuxedo Park NY, Warwick NY the surrounding NY Metro & Northern NJ areas!