Yep, there are cool laundry facts. Despite laundry's rep as one of the most disliked chores, there's actually a lot of interesting things about it. We gathered up a few random (and neat!) trivia facts to share with you guys. Read on!
1. In addition to sweat, your body produces on average each day: 10 grams of salt, 40 grams of grease and sebum (an oily, waxy substance that waterproofs the skin & hair of mammals), plus 10 grams of skin cells and flakes. Most of that winds up on your clothing and sheets. As a result, each eight-pound load of laundry contains 53 grams of grime—about the size of a candy bar. Ewwwww!
2. If you washed and dried one load of laundry EVERY DAY for the next 44 YEARS, you’d clean as much as the folks at Walt Disney World do in a SINGLE DAY. Cast members laundry = an average of 285,000 pounds each day. In addition, between 30,000 and 32,000 garments are dry-cleaned daily. We salute the fine people who do this job; it's a doozy!
3. The first electric powered washer was created in 1908. It was named Thor.
4. The average American family does 8–10 loads of laundry each week.
5. Dryer sheets don't just make your clothes less static-y. They're way more awesome than that! The first dryer sheets, Bounce, hit the market in 1975. These days people use them for polishing shoes, removing pet hair from furniture, and as mosquito repellent too!
6. Ever dream about doing laundry? Here are some common laundry dream interpretations: 1) If YOU'RE doing the laundry in your dream, it suggests that you are cleaning up your act or changing your image because you are concerned about how you appear to others; 2) if someone else is doing your laundry in your dream, it means you've been gossiping; and 3) if you dream of sorting laundry, it indicates that you are trying to understand your own feelings and sorting out your attitudes.
7. Whether your dryer is gas or electric powered you can thank Pochon from France who created the hand-cranked version in the early 1800s. The electric clothes dryer was patented in 1936 (although manual wringers were still primarily used throughout WWI and WWII).
There you go! A few things you (probably) didn't know about laundry. There's other interesting stuff out there – like how laundry has helped spies in the past (and seriously, what's cooler than spy stuff??) - so should go dig into, then impress your friends with your newfound knowledge!
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-637-2039 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Orange County NY, Rockland County NY, Middletown NY, Tuxedo Park NY, Warwick NY the surrounding NY Metro & Northern NJ areas!