We like to think of our homes in terms of comfort and safety, but there are actually plenty of hidden dangers lurking of which you should be aware. From small things like cracks in floors or window frames to larger things like your sump pump, it’s important to keep an eye on what’s going on in your home. Take a look at a few of the common household items that may pose a danger to you and your family.
Have your lights been flickering lately? Don’t worry, it’s probably not spirits setting up shop in your house - most likely it’s overloaded electrical circuits. The good news is that if your electrical system has been properly installed the worst that will happen is a tripped circuit breaker. But if your system is older or not set up correctly, it can cause parts to overheat and burn out. Other signs of an overloaded circuit include dimming lights, discolored wall plates, a mild shock from touching appliances or a burning odor from wall switches. If this occurs, be sure to have it repaired by a qualified electrician.
Noticed any cracks or gaps in your hardwood floors, corners of door jambs, or window frames? If so, take a closer look (especially if cracks are between 1/8 & 1/4 inches). These are signs that something is wonky with your foundation.
So, you don’t have a new puppy but you keep finding puddles on the floor - what’s up? It could be a sign of poor ventilation and mold. Check pipes for excessive condensation - if it checks out but you have a lack of ventilation, it’s time to add an exhaust fan to the area.
Speaking of water, when’s the last time you checked your sump pump? It’s probably not something you think about often but if it fails and leaves you with a flooded basement, you’ll have a mess on your hands. Routinely check connections, clean the pump and vents, and make sure the float switch isn’t restricted. You may also want to look into getting a battery backup pump to prevent failure.
We’ve mentioned it before and we’ll mention it again - have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” for a reason; it’s colorless, tasteless, and odorless. You won’t know it’s there until it’s too late. Keeping a detector or two around the home and making sure to replace batteries in them regularly will go a long way in keeping you and your family safe.
Fire dangers abound. Home fires account for approximately 94% of all fire-related deaths and at least half of those are due to a lack of working smoke alarms and home escape plans. But there are other fire dangers too. Improperly maintained chimneys or furnaces can lead to house fires so be sure to have a professional inspect them regularly. Unattended cooking in the kitchen is a huge cause of home fires. There’s also the wrong wattage of light bulbs being used in lighting fixtures and frayed or loose wires to contend with. Finally, there’s our big concern - lint buildup. Lint is incredibly flammable and if you have a build-up in your dryer vents, it’s a potential disaster. Remove lint from the lint screen after every use of your dryer and have your vents cleaned by a professional once a year.
Make sure your home actually is a safe, comfortable place for yourself and your family by keeping an eye on the above. If you have any doubts about anything, always call in a professional to take a look. Stay safe out there!
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-610-2779 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Orange County NY, Rockland County NY, Middletown NY, Tuxedo Park NY, Warwick NY the surrounding NY Metro & Northern NJ areas!