While we at Dryer Vent Wizard come along to clean your dryer vents at least once a year, there are plenty of things you can do every day to keep your dryer maintenance in tip-top shape. Best of all, they're easy to do and take very little time to accomplish! Since keeping your dryer well-maintained on the reg will help us do our job quicker (which benefits you!) and will improve the overall performance of your dryer, here are tips to do just that.
1. Don't overload the dryer. It's tempting to try to stuff a few extra items in the dryer in the hopes of getting things done faster but it really doesn't work like that. Putting more in the dryer than you should can actually cause the dryer to breakdown. Your clothes need the circulation of hot air and when the dryer is stuffed, the air cannot circulate as much as it needs to in order to dry your clothes. This translates to longer drying times, not shorter.
2. Clean the lint filter after every load. This you know, as we've only mentioned it about a thousand times, but it bears repeating. And if you have some stubborn lint that won't budge, there's a special brush you can get to help.
3. Use liquid fabric softener. This may seem an odd one with no real relation to keeping your dryer well-maintained but it IS related. First, the use of fabric softener can help to remove lint from your clothes. Secondly, dryer sheets leave more residue on the inside of the dryer that attracts lint, grease, and other debris that will eventually clog the filters in the dryer and reduce its efficiency.
4. Clean the inside of your dryer! Unplug your dryer once a month and wipe down the inside with either a mild cleaner or a mixture of vinegar & water. This prevents dirt build-up that may transfer to your clothing and will keep dry times to a minimum.
5. Balance the dryer. You've seen those dryers, back in your laundromat days, that would rock back & forth, right? Those dryers were unbalanced, which will cause internal parts to prematurely wear out. It's simple enough to fix though – a lot of dryers have adjustable “leveling feet” now that allow you to level your dryer; if not, break out the wood blocks and level 'em the old-fashioned way!
It's easy to keep your dryer running smoothly and efficiently if you just take a few minutes here and there to focus on it. Not only does it make your life easier, but it helps us get in and out of your life quicker when we come by to clean your vents. Win-win for all!
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-637-2039 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Orange County NY, Rockland County NY, Middletown NY, Tuxedo Park NY, Warwick NY the surrounding NY Metro & Northern NJ areas!