The holidays are upon us, and if you haven’t already put up decorations, you’ll likely be doing so soon. However, holiday decorations can lead to a home fire if you aren’t careful about where you’re putting them or how they’re used. In fact, Christmas trees result in roughly 200 home fires a year, while there are another 840 home fires that occur due to holiday decorations other than Christmas trees. And about 300 home fires each holiday season are attributed to candles.
To keep you and your family safe and sound this holiday season, check out these holiday fire safety tips. With these, you can guarantee a happy holiday indeed!
No matter what holiday you celebrate this time of year, you’ll probably have at least a decoration or two or some candles about, so there are a few things you’ll need to keep a close eye on.
• If you’re a celebrator of Christmas and have a live tree, then you’ll need to remember to water it daily to ensure it doesn’t dry out. The drier the tree, the more flammable it is!
• Whether it’s live or plastic, be sure to place your Christmas tree 3 feet or more away from heat sources (fireplaces, candles, heaters).
• If you’re putting up lights, remember to check each bulb to make sure they’re working properly. Also check cords for any broken or frayed areas.
• Never leave the house or go to sleep with light on the Christmas tree still plugged in and turned on!
• And don’t overload power cords and circuits by plugging too many things in either. We all remember how that ended up in National Lampoon’s!
• If you use decorative candles during the holiday, make sure they are placed far out of reach of curious cats, children, and away from objects that are flammable.
• Whatever holiday you’re celebrating, pick decorations that are flame resistant.
• Celebrating Hanukkah or Kwanzaa? Then be sure you place your menorah or kinara at least 3 feet away from greenery, curtains, and other flammable materials. Or go the safest route and use an electric menorah or kinara.
• Also, place your menorah or kinara on a surface that is stable, non-flammable, and far out the reach of children and pets.
• Don’t leave burning menorahs or kinaras unattended!
With these tips, you’ll have a safer holiday season! From us to you, happy holidays!
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-618-0082 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Orange County NY, Rockland County NY, Middletown NY, Tuxedo Park NY, Warwick NY the surrounding NY Metro & Northern NJ areas!